Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Testimony and Struggles

Amber bore her testimony in Fast and Testimony Meeting on Sunday. It went something like this:

My Uncle Brandon just died. I've been struggling with fears of death--fears that I'm going to die. I know that Heavenly Father answers prayers. I know that He can help me with my fears of death. I know that families are forever, and that I will see my Uncle Brandon again.

As she spoke, her little frame shook as she held in her emotion. She had to pause a few times to control her tears. It was a simple, yet powerful testimony. The tears ran down my cheeks as she spoke.

Last week Amber asked me if I was worried for her. As she paused and waited for my reply, I contemplated the best answer. I told her that I wasn't. I told her that I knew that she was struggling, but that that was going to be okay. I told her that I had no doubt that through the Savior she would get through this trial--that she would make it.

We all will get through. God loves us. He is there. He will succor us.

I was reading a conference talk called "Choose to Believe" by L. Whitney Clayton, and I was struck by something he said. He said:

"Belief and testimony and faith are not passive principles. They do not just happen to us. Belief is something we choose—we hope for it, we work for it, and we sacrifice for it. We will not accidentally come to believe in the Savior and His gospel any more than we will accidentally pray or pay tithing. We actively choose to believe, just like we choose to keep other commandments" (L. Whitney Clayton, "Choose to Believe, April 2015 General Conference). 

Overcoming this trial is going to continue to take a lot of hard work. We are going to have to continue to choose to seek the Savior, and find peace through Him. It's not going to go away just because we want to be okay again. This whole process is building my testimony and the testimonies of my kids. It's going to take hard work. It's up to us to continue on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment