Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Child of God

When my eldest daughter started first grade, I was instructed more fully of the importance of our divinity and studying scriptures. I remember feeling distraught at sending her to school. I hated the idea of her being away from me for an entire day. Not only did I miss her dearly, but I was entrusting others’ to provide positive influence in her life. I felt concerned for her spiritual safety. I remember taking my concerns to the Lord. And then one morning I awoke with an answer. I had been instructed to remind my children of their divine heritage. And so began a tradition with each of my children. Every morning each child is asked the same question, “Who are you?” to which they reply, “A child of God”. They are then asked, “What does that mean?” to which they reply, “I am a princess”.  For a time, I felt peace with this simple routine; however, I soon learned that there was more to my answer. While listening to conference, I received a strong impression about early morning scripture study. We were already studying scriptures at night; however, the impression was clear that for my children’s spiritual safety they needed to be fortified with the word of God before leaving for school. And so, a new routine began.  In the beginning, our morning scripture study was hurried, and limited. At times we were only able to quickly read through one scripture, or at other times we were so rushed that we would simply recite a memorized scripture as we rushed out the door. I remember feeling somewhat discouraged. Despite my best efforts, our scripture study was not living up the impressions I had received. Again, I took my concern to the Lord, and I was impressed with yet another way to spiritually protect my children. I was instructed that rather than leaving our scripture study for the end of our morning routine—I needed to start our routine with scripture study. The next morning, the only change we made to our routine was the time in which we chose to study the scriptures. As we made scripture study the priority, I saw miracles happen in our lives—we were able to devote ample amount of time to scripture study, get ready for school, and be out the door on time. What was once a rushed reading of the scriptures has now become an in-depth study of Gospel principles. The Lord has made up the difference in time, and by studying the word of God, my children are more prepared to face whatever temptations they may encounter.
...And now 9 years later, we still follow this simple admonition, and I truly believe it has made all the difference in the lives of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment